Hi! and how are you all? It has been a great month in January as from a work perspective it has been relatively quiet. It has given me time to travel and catch up with all my work backlog. At the same time, it has been nice to put my legs up to watch the Australian Open Tennis. I am rooting for Djokovic!
I was browsing the internet the other day when I came upon this beautiful poem written by Ella Wheeler Wilcox (1850-1919), one of America’s greatest poets and it goes like this:
THE WINDS OF FATE
One ship drives east and another drives west
With the same winds that blow.
It is the set of the sails
And not the gales
Which tells us the way to go.
Like the winds of the seas are the ways of fate,
As we voyage along through life
It is the set of a soul
That decides its goal,
And not the calm or the strife.
In simple terms she was trying to tell us that in life we all live in the same environment, face the same conditions and undergo almost similar problems. The people who succeed are the ones who are clear about their destinations, set their sails right, and then sail their boats in the direction that they want to go, irrespective of the direction of the wind. Those who are not so successful, allow the wind to dictate their destinations, and then land in places that they did not want to go in the first place. They then blame the wind for their fate.
My advice to everyone would be to be clear about where you want to go today in your life and then set your sails right. NEVER EVER let the wind choose the direction for you!!! That is the easy way out. Going against the direction of the wind (if that is where you want to go) will be the more difficult option, but that is surely a small price to pay for success. Lead your life rather than allow life to lead you!! You can start on this by doing the following simple things:
- Put serious thoughts on what you want out of your life and career. Translate them into goals and then write them down, to be looked at, at least once a week. Looking at your goals will serve to rejuvenate and motivate you to want to achieve them.
- Everything that you do from now on must be in line with those goals. When in doubt, ask yourself this question, “Will doing this, bring me closer to my goal or goals?”
- As you go about trying to achieve your goals, there will be lots of obstacles and problems. Persevere and be committed as that is the only way goals can be achieved.
- Always be positive in life. Please remember that some of the great people in life like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates would not have achieved their goals if they had only focused only on the problems that they would face.
- Constantly work to improve yourself. Always have this philosophy in life that you can constantly improve and become better each and every day. Work on changing your routines and habits with the ones a successful person would have.
There is no magic formula or easy way to achieve success in life. However by using the above points as a guide, there is a great chance that life can become better for you. Always remember that you must take charge and be in control of your life at all times. You must set the direction of your ship of life rather than allow the winds to dictate where it sails. Only then will you enjoy a fulfilling life.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Have a great month in February. Take care.